This is our monthly email providing important information for Detroit Public School students, parents, teachers and staff, and others interested in preparing Detroit students for college. We would like to wish everyone a happy New Year. Please forward this email to your friends and social networks.
We are pleased to announce the completion of our 9th grade registration. It was very successful with over 80% of Detroit Public School 9th graders registered. This spring, we will award all registered 9th graders with a certificate and letters of encouragement from President Obama and others. Now is the time for K-8 students to register as well. The complete list of registration totals is available here
. Congratulations to the following high schools with at least an 80% registration rate and thank you for encouraging your students to take this important first step:
- Benjamin Carson High School for Science and Medicine
- Communication & Media Arts HS
- Cody Academy of Public Leadership
- Detroit Institute of Technology College Prep High School at Cody
- Cody - Medicine and Community Health Academy at Cody
- Davis Aerospace High School
- Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School
- Detroit International Academy for Young Women
- Detroit School of Arts
- Douglass Academy for Young Men
- East English Village Preparatory Academy
- Northwestern High School
- Osborn Evergreen Academy of Design and Alternative Energy
- Osborn Collegiate Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Western International High School
|DPS Students Recognized
On December 26, 2012, DPS students were recognized at the annual Little Caesars Pizza Bowl at Ford Field. Students honored included those with excellent attendance, members of the all-city choir, and members of the state champion football team. Additionally, the 20 DPS schools with the highest attendance received special seating at the event. Read all about this exciting accomplishment here.
What Are The Next Steps For Seniors?
In January, we will start visiting schools to go over the scholarship acceptance process. Between March 1, 2013 and July 1, 2013 (5 pm deadline) we will need the following five forms, but please send ALL completed forms TOGETHER and please do NOT send them in late (late forms WILL NOT be accepted!!!):
* DPS transcript (need not be official); either grades 9-12
(complete) or grades 9-11 plus the first term of grade 12 plus
a copy of your DPS diploma (after you graduate).
* A completed scholarship acceptance form (click here)
* A financial aid award letter from the college / university they will be attending. For an example of this form, click
here or here.
* Legible copy of drivers license or state ID card with your
* Digital photo (optional) sent to
| School of the Week
Osborn Collegiate Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology was chosen as DPS school of the week for the week of December 17, 2012. The staff and students at Osborn have chosen to rise above the culture they live in and create a better future. Read about it here.
It is never too soon to start thinking about summer! Why not get involved in a summer program that's fun, educational, and great preparation for college? There are a wide variety of available programs, many with scholarship opportunities. Spots are already being filled and space is limited so start planning now. View the following documents for more information:
FAFSA - The Time Is Now!
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the most important financial aid application. This application is required in order to receive the Detroit College Promise Scholarship. The online form becomes available on January 1, 2013. Visit fafsa.gov.
1. Gather the documents you need, including your Social Security Number, driver's license, income tax returns, bank statements, and investment records.
2. Sign in and fill out the online application. Gather your parents' information as needed.
3. Plan how to sign your FAFSA. You can sign electronically with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) or by mailing a signature page.
4. Check your eligibility for federal student aid, and note important deadlines.
Your Kroger Dollars Are Adding Up!
Thank you to all who have signed up for the Kroger Community Rewards program. If you aren't signed up yet it's easy! Just click here
. This is a great way to support the Detroit College Promise because Kroger automatically donates money every time you use your Kroger Plus card. We appreciate your participation in helping us pay for scholarships.
The Detroit College Promise
30100 Telegraph Road, Suite 408
Bingham Farms, MI 48025
Telephone: (248) 646-3269
Fax: (248) 646-3119