Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
11 November 2009
This is our monthly email about The Detroit College Promise. We plan to eventually offer scholarships for up to four years of undergraduate tuition to all Detroit Public School graduates who attend Michigan public colleges and universities.
Support our Annual Drive
The Detroit College Promise has launched its first Annual Drive with a goal of $2 million. These funds will allow us to expand from pilot programs at Cody and Douglass High Schools to all high schools within the Detroit Public Schools. We will also broaden our challenge to all DPS students to try harder, study more, and plan for their future. Please click here to donate $5 or whatever you can afford so we can accomplish this goal. Contributions to our 501(c)(3) nonprofit are tax deductible as allowed by law, and are paid directly to Michigan public colleges and universities for tuition expenses for our scholarship recipients. Click here for our press release, or here for a related article in Crain’s Detroit Business
We recently made presentations to both the Cody / Rouge Education Leadership Conference and to the Detroit Parent Network as part of the Community Scholarship Initiative. This initiative also includes UNCF, Edu-Guide, the Coleman Young Foundation and the Skillman Foundation. Contact Joy at 248/646-3269 if you would like us to speak to your group about scholarships for Detroiters in general or about our particular scholarship.
Time is running out!
All Detroit Public School students should register online for our scholarship by December 1, 2009. Since we are adding scholarships this year and next, students should register even if we don’t currently have a scholarship at their school. To register, visit www.DetroitCollegePromise.org, then click on the Student Login button on the right hand side. It only takes 1-2 minutes. Click here for more information. If you know any DPS students, please remind them to register. Those who register will be sent our student and general newsletter. The student newsletter has information about scholarships, financial aid and other college readiness activities (click here to view our October 2009 student newsletter).
We have expanded to 4 new DPS high schools
The Detroit College Promise now offers $500 scholarships to seniors at Cass Tech, Central, Pershing and Trombly High Schools. Currently, our program is limited to two scholarships for each school, with students selected at random from those who apply. However, with the help of supporters at these schools, we hope to increase the number of scholarships to all graduating seniors.
Fun Run 2009
Thanks to all who participated in our Fun Run on the Riverwalk. We had great weather and a great time, and raised money for more scholarships. More pictures are posted on our Facebook Page (click here).
● We updated our Detroit Scholarships page with information from the Detroit Community Scholarship Initiative, the Michigan Department of Treasury and Foster Care related grants. We regularly update this page, but contact us if you have any suggestions.
● We added US Senator Debbie Stabenow’s favorite books to our Books page (click here). We hope that highlighting favorite books of elected officials will help promote reading, which will promote our mission of changing the education culture in Detroit.
● Our Links page now has a link to a brochure from the National PTA listing 100 ways to help your child and school succeed (click here).
● Please contact us with any comments, suggestions or to volunteer.
● To contribute at any time, click on the Contribute button on our website, or click here.
● To volunteer, call Joy at 248/646-3269.
● To subscribe to this email, send an email to subscribeDCP@gmail.com (no text needed).
● To stop receiving these emails, please reply with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
The Detroit College Promise, 30100 Telegraph Road, Suite 408, Bingham Farms, MI 48025
Telephone: 248/646-3269; Fax: 248/646-3119